I’ve been trying to make macarons for a few years. Ever since they first touched my lips and I became obsessed with every flavor combination that can be made. My first time in Paris I was infatuated with the colors and the flavors. I spent a huge chunk of my days in New York trying to find the closest compliment I could. Because if you can’t find them in New York, you can’t find them anywhere. Obviously.
With the addition to my kitchen in the form of a standing mixer, I anticipated many macaron-making days, once I could properly whip up those egg whites. Fast forward 3 more time of results like these.
So obviously it is just not meant to be. OK, french pastry Gods, I can take a hint. I will just return to Paris to consume even more macarons, if I must. In the meantime, I will stick with my
god-given mom-given baking talents. I like cupcakes.
I like making cupcakes. And it just so happens that the cupcakes I make are ridiculously amazing. So let’s just stick with those. And there is really no use in wasting delicious lime ganache meant for lime macarons. I’m not wasteful. I’m resourceful. Turning my macaron failure into a cupcake masterpiece.
Graham Cracker Cupcakes
makes 10-12 cupcakes
from Bon Appetit
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 15 whole crackers ground in processor)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk graham crumbs, flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt in medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating to blend between additions. Beat in vanilla.
- Add graham-cracker mixture in 3 additions alternately with milk.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- zest of 1 lime + 2 tablespoons of lime juice
To make frosting: cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar and beat on low, gradually increasing speed as sugar becomes incorporated. Add vanilla. Scoop frosting into pastry bag and pipe onto cupcakes.