My boyfriend is a dork. He is also brilliant. But mostly a dork. He is my go to person whenever I need to know anything. Because he either knows all the facts, or turns to Wikipedia to solve all those answers he doesn’t know. So you’re probably thinking, he just has a thirst for knowledge Well, yes, that too. But he’s also a dork who has made me even more of a dork. Because having an insane knowledge for obscure 1930s movies and musical theater just wasn’t enough. As my favorite group of kids would say, I want more.
One of our favorite things to do is watch Jeopardy. I know, my life is awesome. So when my boyfriend gets the call to try out for Jeopardy, naturally I go nuts. I had all these dreams of “training” him. For a competition in intelligence. Who am I kidding? That just wasn’t going to happen. So when my boyfriend was off being brilliant, I made these. I may not know anything about Greek history that I didn’t learn from Hercules — yes, the Disney version — but I can whip up some tasty treats.
Like these. Did you just get a blast from the past? I definitely did while making these. Memories of 30 cent deserts in the cafeteria when I was in 4th grade. You know, before I chased the boys around the baseball diamond or three them in the mud. Normal kid stuff. So go be a kid and stuff your face.
Oatmeal Cream Pies
*makes 18-24 pies
- 1 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
Cream Filling Ingredients
- 2 teaspoons very hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In large bowl, cream margarine, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and eggs.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add to the creamed mixture; mix in the oats.
- Drop dough by TBS on ungreased sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes,or until just starting to brown around the edges.
- While the cookies bake prepare the filling.
- In small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water. Allow this to cool.
- Combine marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in med bowl; mix on high until fluffy.
- Add the cooled salt water and mix well.
- Spread filling on flat side of one cookie, press 2nd cookie on top.