I have so much love for bananas. They are the secret weapon to prevent my leg from going numb when rowing. Fight off cramps when swimming really far for a long time. Today, it’s all about bananas. Yep. I love em. And I totally feel for them. It seems like they might almost get more love when they are overly ripe and browning up all over. That is a sure sign that it is time to make banana bread. It’s not that I buy bananas just so they will get brown and I can make banana bread (but actually, that is often what happens). So, bananas, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for letting you sit on the counter until you are ready to be mashed up into banana goo, thrown into the mixer, and made even better with cinnamon. But just know, that no matter what form you are in, I will always love you. Forever and always.
Another thing I love? This stuff.
Seriously. Ever since I discovered this slathered in a crepe while walking along the Champs–Élysées, Christmas 2009, I have been in love. Nutella and banana just go together. They make so much sense. Can I be a kid for just right now and eat nutella with my spoon? And while we’re at it, peanut butter and cookie butter too? Cause I’ve never done that before. But this bread has totally happened and it is so happening again. Another awesome thing? This is probably the healthiest banana bread you will ever eat for 2 reasons: 1. no butter. 2. no oil. I love me some butter, in all forms. But today is banana’s day. And trust me, friends. It’s like super-secret guilty pleasure cake-bread. But it’s actually super-secret healthy bread. Plus Nutella. BLAM! Your welcome. Please go show your love for bananas. For all they have done for you in curing those aches and pains, it’s time to love them back.
Nutella Swirl Banana Bread Recipe
*makes 1 9×4 loaf
3 ripe bananas
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup applesauce
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
¼ cup of nutella
cinnamon sugar (optional)
- preheat oven to 325 degrees F, lightly oil/butter a loaf pan
- mash the bananas in a bowl and set to the side
- add sugar, applesauce, eggs, mix together, being careful not to whip them. Slowly add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Mix all ingredients until fully incorporated. Fold in bananas with a spatula.
- Pour half the batter into a loaf pan. Scoop half the nutella onto a fork and drizzle over batter, then swirl into pan, using a figure 8 motion. Add remaining batter and remaining nutella and repeat process.
- Using fork, swirl nutella into entire pan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes.
- sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top, as soon as loaf is removed from oven.
2 thoughts on “Nutella Swirl Banana Bread”
think we have lots of ripe bananas and nutella, of course!
sounds like a weekend plan 🙂
we always have nutella!